INDEX | Fashion Expert Sydne Summer | Interview


 Styled by Sydne
Schatzie Miller Chats with Fashion Expert and Blogger Sydne Summer

Sydne Summer knows how to dress. As a Los Angeles based fashion expert, stylist and blogger, Sydne has worked with some of the industry's biggest names including: J Brand, Tory Burch, and Kenneth Cole. Having been recognized for her approachable fashion expertise Sydne gives daily style advice and inspiration on her blog Sydne Style and hosts countless tips and trends segments on the Style Network. In a recent interview, Sydne discussed her plans for the future, favorite spring trends, and the relationship between technology and fashion.


Schatzie Miller:  Finish this statement: "If I weren't styling, I would be..."
Sydne Summer: writing... but in my profession I'm able to style and write. So I hit the jackpot! 

SM:  Have you ever considered becoming a fashion designer? If so, what would you design?
SS: I considered becoming a fashion designer at a very young age but decided to go into journalism instead. That's not to say I'll never dabble in design! A capsule collection with one of my favorite retailers is definitely on the to-do list. 

SM: Where did you receive training to become a stylist?
SS: I didn't receive traditional training in styling. My background is in journalism. But in all my journalism jobs, I was either given or created the opportunity to direct and style fashion shoots for TV and print. Through these opportunities I was able to learn the tricks of the trade and grow as a stylist. 

SM:  What are some challenges you face as stylist?
SS:The biggest challenge for me is controlling my shopping. Whenever I'm prepping for a shoot, I want everything for my own wardrobe! And although it's a major perk getting to borrow clothing to wear for appearances it's very hard to part with a dress after you fall in love. 

SM: What are some of the perks?
SS:The biggest perk for me is seeing an immediate change in a woman's self esteem. I recently styled a breast cancer survivor who won a contest for a head-to-toe makeover. After a full day of shopping, she had was so happy that tears came to her eyes. You can't beat that feeling.  

SM: Describe your personal style.
SS: Feminine, classic and polished. 

SM: What are your professional goals for 2013?
SS: I started a production company last year. You can check out some of my videos on youtube.com/sydnesummer. My goal is to grow that aspect of my business while continuing to work on everything else. I thrive on being busy!

SM: What designers are you currently loving?
SS: I'm a BCBG loyalist, Parker has some dresses I don't think I'll be able to live without for Spring and I'm loving Cynthia Vincent's prints in her current collection. 

SM: What is a Spring 2013 trend that you are excited to wear?
SS: I adore Spring's lace trend, specifically the sleeveless lace shift dresses I saw on the runway. They're feminine with a dash of sex appeal. There were a bunch of sleeveless styles at fashion week so you definitely want to make sure your skin is prepared come spring. To guarantee confidence, I use Dove go sleeveless Soothing Chamomile Deodorant.  It provides softer, smoother underarms in just 5 days with vitamins E and F and Dove ¼ moisturizers while providing 48 hours of protection.  It’s a definite must-have when rocking these dresses! 

SM: Where are your favorite places to travel?
SS: Hawaii to relax, Paris to get cultured and Miami when I want to party with my girlfriends. Greece and the Maldives are on my wish list. 

SM: Where are your favorite places to dine, drink, pamper and shop in Los Angeles?
SS: Matsuhisa is my all-time favorite LA restaurant. For happy hour, I meet friends at The Hudson (their jalepeno mac n cheese is a must!). Pampering... well I should really treat myself more. But I am a regular at Anastasia Salon. I'm addicted to the way Tracy grooms my eyebrows to perfection. I've also been seeing Sean J at Juan Juan salon for over 12 years now!  For shopping, because of my blog I do a ton of shopping online. But when I'm looking for an extra special piece, I head downtown to Shareen Vintage. 

SM: Your educational background is in mass communications and journalism, how did you become interested in fashion?
SS: I've been interested in fashion ever since I can remember. The wonderful thing about journalism and communications is it allows you to partake in so many aspects of fashion from writing and styling to producing and hosting. 

SM: Continuing on the topic of your educational background, technology has greatly affected the way fashion communicates with the public (ie: social media and live video feed from fashion shows). Do you think that fashion should continue to embrace the change or should it scale back to a more traditional way of communicating?
SS: I definitely think fashion should continue to embrace the change. It's incredible how you can reach so many people all over the world. And I think it's wonderful that the magic of fashion week is now enjoyed by people outside of the industry. 

SM: Do you think the emergence of bloggers will jeopardized traditional fashion journalism?
SS: There's definitely mixed opinions about this subject but I don't think traditional fashion journalism is jeopardized. I think fashion journalism has simply expanded. Now, you have the choice whether you want to consume fashion through magazines, blogs, television or all of the above. It's never a bad thing to have more options.

Comments

Popular Posts