theEvents: An Evening With Women | L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's Annual Gala @LAGay&LesbianCenter @TheBeverlyHilton @Lyndsassy



Selling Out Never Felt SO Good!
Written By: Lyndsay Michelle


 THIS PAST SATURDAY, May 18th, Ozzy Osbourne, Sia, Linda Perry, and Natasha Bedingfield (among others) performed at the L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center's annual Gala: "An Evening With Women," hosted by Kathy Griffin. This event was held at the ever accomodating and beautiful Beverly Hilton Hotel and I was truly honored to be in attendance at this sold out event that raised over $600,000 towards the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's Services for woman and girls. 

 

Kathy Griffin, Host for the L.A. Gay & Lesbian
Center's 2013 Gala
Photograpy: Beck Starr/ Beck Starr Photography
 
This event was not only celebrity clad, but also informative as to the benefits of the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's services for women and girls. I was moved to tears when the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's CEO, Lorrie Jean, took center stage and graced the audience with the heart warming (and at times heart wrenching) stories of some brave stipendiaries of the center willing to share their personal stories. Lorrie Jean spoke eloquently as to the trials, tribulations and triumphs affecting the gay and lesbian community with such conviction it was impossible not to see that more than her heart and soul went into the words she was speaking. Her words illustrated the sentiment that was woven throughout the entire evening; that building a sense of tolerance for gay and lesbian rights is not enough -instead we should all be working hard to build a sense of community, love and acceptance for all despite an individual's sexual orientation.


L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center
1625 Schrader Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028
Table 209 Attendees
Left to Right: Nikki Severin and Jamie Lauer
Photography: Lyndsay Michelle

After my tears subsided, I was offered a reprieve when Kathy Griffin took over the stage; and I mean this quite literally! She began her performance by admitting to theft; she took a Marc Jacobs couture coat that was one of the many items for sale during the silent auction (I can place no blame on her as the coat was amazing). Griffin quickly followed up her plea of guilt with her "lesbians equal ____" list which proved more colorful than even the most vivid of all rainbows. While on the topic of Kathy Griffin, I must ask one question: why, oh why, was she on stage during the dessert service? Most of the decadent treats I put in my mouth ended up right back on the table because laughing and chewing are apparently not tasks I can do simultaneously (nor could some of my  other tablemates; shout out to table 209).
Kathy Griffin in a couture Marc Jacobs Coat
At the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's 2013 Gala
Photography: © Lydia Marcus Photography

 
While I did not win any of the items I bid on during the silent auction, I was consoled by the performances of Natasha Bedingfield, Linda Perry and Sia; all three of which left me clapping and screaming with the entire room during each of their respective standing ovations. I must admit that hearing the lyrics of Purple Rain sung by Natasha Bedingfield to the soul grabbing guitar strumming of Linda Perry was a personal highlight for me. Watching Perry's fingers work the fretboard of the neck of her guitar was like watching a magician pull a Clydesdale out of hat! The magic got better for me when I had the pleasure of meeting Sia (my vote went to Sia for best shoes of the evening) and Natasha Beddingfield. After speaking to each individually, I have a new found admiration for their brave support of the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center and all it stands for.
Natasha Bedingfield & Linda Perry
at the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's 2013 Gala
Photography: © Lydia Marcus Photography
 
Sia performing for the L.A. Gay &
Lesbian Center's 2013 Gala
Photography: Beck Starr/WireImage

Sia's infamous shoes worn in celebration of the
 L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's 2013 Gala
Photographer: Lyndsay Michelle

Natasha Bedingfield with
Lyndsay Michelle and Tiffany Carter
at the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's 2013 Gala
Photographer: Unknown


Highlights that will forever reside in my memory as one of the best nights of my life were made forever imprinted on me when Ozzy Osbourne casually walked onto the stage, grabbed a microphone and allowed me to check off one of the many items I have on my bucket list: See the Prince of Darkness perform live. In an instant I was on my feet joining my new friends from table 209 singing along to Crazy Train and War Pigs. In fact, I may still be hoarse from screaming the lyrics with the rock legend!

Rock vocalist Ozzy Osbourne Performing
at the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's 2013 Gala
  Photography: Beck Starr/WireImage

While we are on the topic of celebrities, it would be unbecoming of me not to mention the other wonderful performers and special guests who were in attendance. For those of you who soak up celebrity sightings like a paper towel to a spill, enjoy the following complete list of performers and other celebrity guests:


* Ozzy Osbourne

* Sia

* Natasha Bedingfield

* Kathy Griffin

* Linda Perry

* Teri Polo (The Fosters)

*Sherri Saum (The Fosters)

* Sharon Osbourne

* Kelly Osbourne

* Sara Gilbert

* Wendy Gruel (Running for Mayor of LA)

* Meredith Baxter-Birney

* Michael Moloney

* Mindy Sterling

* Margo Stilley

* Michelle Wolff

* Jessica Clark (True Blood)

* Greg Rikaart (The Young and the Restless)

* Jessica Collins (The Young and the Restless)

* Christian Le Blanc (The Young and the Restless)

* Greg Rikaart (The Young and the Restless)
 
A general view of atmostphere at the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's 2013 Gala.
 Photography:  Beck Starr/WireImage
With such a surreal night bringing awareness to a worthy cause, I can only say thank you to the many incredible women and men I met who educated me as to how I can personally make a difference in joining the movement to bring equality to gay and lesbian rights. Although the evening was fabulous in every possible way, the take away message was that more work NEEDS to be done and I encourage everyone reading this post to take action in whatever way you can as no action/contribution is too small. Please reach out to the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center for information on how YOU can get involved and make a difference.

Forever humbled by this event,


Lyndsay Michelle
Fashion & Beauty Editor
Director of Special Events

Comments

Popular Posts